The US has rigid entry necessities for the two holidaymakers and transit travellers. US Customs and Border Defense officers won’t let you enter if you do not comply.
If you happen to be traveling to for considerably less than 90 times, you may well be eligible to:
- apply for an Digital Procedure for Journey Authorization (ESTA) and then
- enter below the Visa Waiver Application (VWP)
In any other case, you’ll need to get a visitor visa before you journey.
Visa and other entry and exit ailments can modify at brief recognize, including currency, customs and quarantine policies. Call an embassy or consulate of the United States for the most up-to-date particulars.
Visa-absolutely free vacation for short stays
If you strategy to visit for considerably less than 90 days, you may be equipped to travel underneath the VWP. This features vacation to the US Virgin Islands and Puerto Rico.
You simply cannot enter the US beneath the VWP if you have:
- been denied an ESTA or entry beneath the VWP
- been denied a US visa
- an crisis passport, document of identity or Provisional Journey Document
- a felony report
- been arrested but not convicted
- twin citizenship with Iran, Iraq, North Korea, Sudan or Syria
- travelled to Iran, Iraq, Libya, North Korea, Somalia, Sudan, Syria or Yemen considering that 1 March 2011, with minimal exceptions
In advance of travelling beneath the VWP, you will have to utilize and be pre-permitted by way of the ESTA.
US authorities suggest that you utilize as quickly as you know you may be travelling. ESTA approvals can get at the very least 72 hours.
ESTAs are legitimate for 2 several years and for several entries.
You are going to require to implement for a new ESTA if:
- you renew your passport in just the 2-12 months period
- your VWP eligibility variations
If there are dissimilarities amongst your ESTA, passport or ticket facts, you could be:
- refused entry
- referred for secondary inspection (in which an officer could job interview you)
If your ESTA software is denied, you will require to apply for a customer visa from a US embassy or consulate.
US authorities generally will not tell you why an ESTA software was turned down. You are unable to attractiveness the decision.
If you give bogus or incorrect information and facts on an ESTA, you may possibly be permanently barred from travel to the US.
If your ESTA software is denied or you are not suitable to travel underneath the VWP, or you intend to stay for more than 90 days, you’ll want to use for a visa from a US embassy or consulate.
Based on your motive for journey, you can utilize for both:
- a tourism customer visa (B-1), or
- a small business visitor visa (B-2)
There’s a visa for each travel purpose.
A lot more information and facts:
Arrival and departure report (Variety I-94)
When you get there, US authorities will determine the day by which you must go away the nation. This day might not be the exact same as the expiry date of your ESTA or visitor visa.
A US Customs and Border Security formal must:
- stamp your passport and generate the day you need to leave on the stamp
- situation you with an digital or paper Variety I-94 (Arrival/Departure Document)
Your I-94 is proof of your legal standing in the US. It shows the date when you should leave the state.
You can test your I-94 with the US Customs and Border Security each time you enter the US.
If you stay earlier your I-94 expiry day, you can be detained, deported and barred from re-coming into the US.
To increase your keep in the US, lodge a request with US Citizenship and Immigration Expert services (USCIS) on Kind I-539 before your I-94 expires.
You can not increase or renew your I-94 by travelling to Canada, Mexico or the Caribbean for 30 times or a lot less and then re-coming into the US.
If you journey to Canada, Mexico or the Caribbean and return to the US while your I-94 is even now valid, you will be readmitted for the quantity of time still left on it.
If your I-94 has just lately expired and US authorities believe the objective of your trip was only to prolong your keep in the US, they can:
- refuse you entry
- detain and deport you
If you might be issued a paper I-94 when you get there at a land border, give it to the airline, cruise line or US Customs and Border Safety officials when you leave the US.